With the beginning of a new year, it’s time for Goal setting.
Here is what you need to do. Find a white wall and start writing down your goals.
Just kidding. Don’t mess with your wall. But make sure you write down your goals
But from where to start?
Having a long-term goal seems to be a good option for me. It helps you to have a sense of purpose. Otherwise, you will soon lose your direction and give up.
But how long is a long term?
A good place to start is 5 or 10 years.
Think of each area of your life that you want to improve. Have as audacious goals as you can think of for each of those areas. Do not limit yourself.
We will be breaking them down into bite-size pieces later on. For now, just write them down
But before you write them down, check if your goals are S.M.A.R.T or not.
How to make a goal S.M.A.R.T?
A goal is considered S.M.A.R.T if it is
A = Action-oriented
T = Time Bound
Not a Smart Goal – I want to lose weight.
Smart Goal – I want to lose 10 pounds of weight by 28-Feb-2018
Why is this a smart goal? Because it is specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timebound.
Now that we have understood what technique to use for setting goals, let’s start the actual process.
Decide where you want to be in 10 years with respect to health, wealth, relationships, career, etc.
Decide where you want to be in 5 years with respect to health, wealth, relationships, career, etc.
Check, if you set these 5-year goals, will you be able to reach your 10-year goal? If so, bravo! Else, re-adjust.
Decide where you want to be in 3 years with respect to health, wealth, relationships, career, etc.
Check, if you set these 3-year goals, will you be able to reach your 5-year goal? Otherwise, set them in such a way that you will be able to reach your 5-year goal.
Now comes the time to set this year’s goal or our yearly goal. Follow the same process as above.
Since we have the 1-year goal now, let’s break it down further into 12 pieces.
We will try to accomplish one piece every month.
At the start of every month, you will review what you have accomplished last month. Check if anything is pending. This will be the priority for this month. Also, plan the upcoming week accordingly.
Generally, Sunday nights are good, for planning the upcoming week. Take into consideration, any prior engagements like weekly meetings, parties, doctor’s appointments, etc.
Once you have the weekly plan, you are left with just one last step.
Every night, plan for your next day. It will hardly take, 10-15 min of your time, but will keep you on track. You can review, what you have achieved throughout the day and how much you need to achieve the next day to complete your weekly goal.
I find planning the entire process using mind mapping is extremely effective. You may use mindmeister for this. This tool is an extremely easy to use and powerful tool for creating mind maps.
Though they have a paid version, the features you need are absolutely free.
To help you further, I’ve put together the absolute best sources that will help you in your goal setting process and will help you to achieve them
May, 2018 be the Year when all your dreams come to life. Best of Luck!
Why Is Goal Setting Important?
- Five Reasons Why You Need To Set Goals In Life by S. Shanthi
- On The Importance Of Goal Setting: 6 Reasons Why You Need To Set Goals by Keep Inspiring Me
- The Importance of Setting Goals in Life by Jeff Sauer
- 5 Reasons Why Goal Setting Will Improve Your Focus by Jeff Boss
- The Importance of Setting Goals by Ohad Frankfurt
- The Importance of Setting Goals by Remez Sasson
- The Importance of Goal Setting by Universal Class
- Why are Goals and Objectives Important? by Dan Feliciano
- Why is it so important to set goals? by Amber Shiflett
Top Resources on Motivation For Goal Setting and Achieving Goals
- How You Can Get Motivated To Reach Your Goals by Nancy F Clark
- 50 Inspirational Quotes to Help You Achieve Your Goals by Nina Zipkin
- 11 Ways To Stay Motivated & Focused To Achieve Your Goals by TORIA SHEFFIELD
- The Ultimate Guide to Motivation – How to Achieve Any Goal by Leo Babauta
- 15 Ways to Motivate Yourself That Actually Work by Rachel Nussbaum
- 18 Motivational Quotes About Successful Goal Setting by LYDIA SWEATT
- 3 ways to stay motivated to achieve your goals by MUNIRA RANGWALA
- 7 Ways to Get Motivated and Achieve Your Goals by Steve Martile
- 7 Ways To Stay Motivated And Achieve Your Goal, No Matter What by Frank Healy
- Self-Motivation: 5 Easy Steps to Help Reach Your Goals by Krista Hillis
Top Resources for Goal Setting
- 10 Steps to Successful Goal Setting by Bradley Foster
- The 7-Step Formula for Goal Setting by Brian Tracy
- Goal Setting: A Scientific Guide to Setting and Achieving Goals
by James Clear
- Golden Rules of Goal Setting Five Rules to Set Yourself Up for Success by Mindtools Content Management Team
- The Process of Goal Setting in Becoming a Millionaire by Universal Class
- Process Goals Vs Outcome Goals: Which Goal Setting Style is Best? by S.J. Scott
- BREAKING DOWN THE FIVE STEP GOAL SETTING PROCESS by Adam Sicinski
- The 6 Proven Steps to Goal Setting by Matt Morris
- 10 Steps of Goal Setting by The Peak Performance Center
- We All Start Somewhere: 5 Steps For Successfully Setting Goals by Ben Sands
- The Big Goal Exercise by Bryan Falchuk
Top 10 Resources for Goal Achievement
- 6 Ways To Achieve Any Goal by Molly Cain
- Want to achieve your goals? Pick up these 4 habits by Ted Talk Business
- The 10 Things You Must Do to Achieve Your Goals by Lydia Belanger
- 9 Things All Successful People Know About Achieving Their Goals by Lily Herman
- 10 Ways Successful People Achieve Their Goals by Bruce Harpham
- 8 ways psychologists say successful people achieve their goals by Chris Weller
- 10 Steps to Achieve Any Goal by Roger Connors and Tom Smith
- How to Achieve Your Goals Easily by James Clear
- 3 Success Principles To Set And Achieve Your Goals by Brian Tracy
- 3 Steps to Successful Goal Achieving by Sue Clement
Top 10 Resources for Goal Setting Mistakes
- 4 Dangerous Mistakes to Avoid When Setting Goals (That Most People Overlook) by Bryan Falchuk
- 5 Most Common Goal Setting Mistakes by Annetta Powell
- 5 Critical Mistakes To Avoid When Setting Goals by Joel Lee
- 3 Common Goal Setting Mistakes by Royale Scuderi
- The 10 Biggest Mistakes People Make in Setting Goals by Michael Hyatt
- 6 Harmful Goal Setting Mistakes Most People Make by HENRIK-JAN VAN DER POL
- 15 Common Goal Setting Mistakes by Shelle
- 8 Goal setting mistakes which you must avoid by Carthage Buckley
- 10 GOAL SETTING MISTAKES YOU’RE MAKING by Natalie Bacon
- 5 GOAL SETTING MISTAKES YOU NEED TO AVOID by Dragan Sutevski
Top 10 Books For Goals
- Goals: How to get everything you want – Faster than you ever thought possible by Brian Tracy
- Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It by Henriette Anne Klauser
- Goal Setting: The Ultimate Guide To Achieving Goals That Truly Excite You by Thibaut Meurisse
- The Most Powerful Goal Achievement System in the World: The Hidden Secret to Getting Everything You Want by Mike Pettigrew
- The Magic Lamp: Goal Setting for People Who Hate Setting Goals by Keith Ellis
- S.M.A.R.T. Goals Made Simple: 10 Steps to Master Your Personal and Career Goals by S.J. Scott
- Goal Setting: 13 Secrets of World Class Achievers by Vic Johnson
- How To Set Goals: Your Goal Setting Bible For Maximum Personal Achievement by Darrin Wiggins
- Goal Setting: 21 Days To Achieving Life Changing Goals And Being Happy Happy Happy by Darrin Wiggins
- Goal Setting: 10 Easy Steps To Keep Motivated & Master Your Personal Goals (Goal Setting, Smart Goals, and How To Set Goals) (Volume 1) by Matt Morris
Some more Goals Resources
- How to Set Goals and Actually Achieve Them by Rezzan Hussey
- 10 Great Quotes on the Power of Goals by Matt Mayberry
- 10 STEPS TO SETTING AND ACHIEVING GOALS AT WORK by NATALIA AUTENRIETH
- 5 financial goals and how to achieve them by The Guardian
- 5 Golden Rules To Set Goals In Life And Achieve Them by KAREN MARWEIN
- 5 Simple Steps to Setting Goals and Achieving Them by Thanh Pham
- 5 Ways to Set Goals for a Successful Business by Kayla Hollatz
- 57 Useful Tips How To Set Goals And Achieve Them by Shawn Lim
- 7 ways to set goals and achieve them by Amp.com.au
- 8 Tips for Setting Goals That’ll Actually Happen by Lily Herman
- A Simple Guide to Setting and Achieving Your Life Goals by Leo Babauta
- Achieve Anything in Just One Year: Be Inspired Daily to Live Your Dreams and Accomplish Your Goals by Jason Harvey
- Anti-Goals: Find Success By Knowing What To Avoid by Kevin Wagonfoot
- Easy Ways to Set Goals and Achieve Them by Beatriz Martinez
- Goal Setting by Jessie Kember, Ph.D.
- Goal setting by healthdirect australia
- Goal Setting – How To Set Goals Effectively by Leo Gura
- Goal Setting 101: Basic Effective Steps to Crushing Your Goals, Fulfilling Your Dreams, and Writing Your Own Success Story by Jace Michael
- Goal Setting in Relationships by Raquel Villarreal
- Goal Setting: A Motivational Technique That Works! by Edwin A. Locke, Gary P. Latham
- Goal Setting: How to Create an Action Plan and Achieve Your Goals (Worksmart) by Michael S. Dobson, Susan B. Wilson
- Goal Setting: How To Set & Achieve Personal & Career Goals With Success by Jonathan Reid
- GOAL SETTING: HOW TO SET GOALS AND ACHIEVE THEM by Harvest Education Technical College
- Goals by Zig Ziglar (Author, Narrator), Nightingale-Conant (Publisher)
- Goals: Setting And Achieving S.M.A.R.T. Goals, How To Stay Motivated And Get Everything You Want From Your Life Faster (Success Principles And … Time And Stress Management) (Volume 1) by Sandra Williams
- GOAL-SETTING and the power of saying I WILL by Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- HOW TO ACHIEVE GOALS IN LIFE by N. KALYANI
- How to Set and Achieve Goals by Susan M. Heathfield
- How to set goals by ReachOut.com
- How To Set Goals (and Actually Achieve Them) by DR. JULIE HANKS
- How to Set Goals and Achieve Them by Trudi Griffin, LPC
- How to Set Goals and Achieve Them by Mark Hunter
- How to Set Goals and Achieve them by NIC VELASQUEZ
- How to Set Goals and Achieve Them by Dr Kell Tremayne/Kimberley Hannagan
- How to set goals and achieve them – a holistic approach by Psychologies
- How to Set Goals and Achieve Them Every Time by Drake Mariani/Sabita Saleem
- HOW TO SET GOALS AND ACHIEVE THEM IN 4 STEPS by Eileen Wilder
- How to Set Goals and Achieve Them Quickly by YURI ELKAIM
- How To Set Goals And Achieve Them! by Tom Ferry
- How to set goals and actually achieve them by Julia Bernstein
- How to Set Goals and Motivate Yourself to Actually Achieve Them by Tom Ewer
- How to set goals and objectives for your business by business.gov.au
- How To Set Goals: Your Goal Setting Bible For Maximum Personal Achievement by Darrin Wiggins
- How to Set New Goals and Achieve Them as Life Changes by Tina Muir
- How to set SMART goals and achieve them by Teri Samson
- How to Set, Plan and Achieve Goals by Universal Class
- Instant Goals: How to Set Goals and Achieve Them Instantly! (INSTANT Series) by The INSTANT-Series
- Level-Up Goal Setting: How to Become a Better Version of Yourself in 30 Days or Less by Setting Goals (Volume 1) by Arrmon Abedikichi
- Life Purpose Playbook: The Ultimate Guide To Goal Setting And Daily Planning by Judy Machado-Duque
- P.O.W.E.R Goals: a Powerful Complement to S.M.A.R.T Goals by Stephane Gaskin
- Power Goals: 9 Clear Steps to Achieve Life-Changing Goals by Christina Skytt
- Pursuit Goal Journal – A unique, down-to-earth method for productivity, motivation, and goal planning by Pursuit Goal Journal
- Serial Winner: 5 Actions to Create Your Cycle of Success by Larry Weidel
- Setting Realistic Goals: 7 Keys To Set Goals You Can Actually Achieve by Sid Savara
- Take Control Of Your Life: A 2 hour plan to help you set and reach your goals by Rachel Rofe
- The One Goal: Master The Art of Goal Setting by Thibaut Meurisse
- The Science Behind Setting Goals (and Achieving Them) by ForbesBooks
- What Do You Really Want?: How to Set a Goal and Go for It! A Guide for Teens by Beverly K. Bachel
- Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals by Michael Hyatt
- Your guide to Setting Goals AND Achieving Them! by brookes2cents